News: Learn to Silkscreen
Screenprinting is a versatile process that can be used to transfer graphic images to paper, wood, and fabric. It is ideal for making t-shirts, posters, coasters, greeting cards/stationery, and more. The AS220 Printshop offers monthly classes in screenprinting. The next class is Thursday July 10th and 17th from 6-10pm.
This course provides a comprehensive introduction to screen printing in two sessions. (This class is also offered as a one-day intensive.) Participants will design, print, and exchange a two-color print with a maximum dimension of 8″ x 10″. The first class will be dedicated to designing and creating stencils by hand or with the laser copier. Participants spend the second class learning proper printing techniques and registration, and troubleshooting. The workshop will end with a print exchange.
Sign up now using our online shop!
Haven’t you always wanted to learn how to silkscreen? Print your own posters, shirts, books and zines, cards and stationary, and get them all out into the world!
The AS220 Community Printshop offers Introduction to Silkscreen on November 7th and 14th. Register here, description below!
Screenprinting is a versatile process that can be used to transfer graphic images to paper, wood, and fabric. It is ideal for making t-shirts, posters, coasters, greeting cards/stationery, and more. Bring an idea and something you want to print on and we’ll show you how it’s done.
This course provides a two-week comprehensive introduction to screen printing. Participants will design, print, and exchange a multiple color print with a maximum dimension of 8″ x 10″. The morning will be dedicated to creating hand-drawn or laser printed stencils focusing on the design of a multiple color print. Participants spend the afternoon learning proper printing techniques, troubleshooting, and tips for registration. The workshop will end with a print exchange.
Supplies you will need to purchase
- imagery to work from – illustrations or computer files on a flash drive or in your email. Keep it simple at first: 2 colors, text should be at least 8pt, avoid very thin line work.
- opaque drawing tools (your choice of oil-based paint marker, poster paint marker, rapidograph pens, fast drying ink for film)
- acetate, frosted mylar for drawing designs (you may also print out or photocopy images onto acetate using our laser printer; see Supplies we provide below)
- opaque drawing tools (your choice of paint marker, fast drying ink for film, rapidograph pens)
- acrylic or textile printing ink, any color; Speedball brand recommended
- masking tape and/or clear shipping tape (Scotch brand; anything else might damage screens!)
- pad of newsprint
- paper (any type will work, Bristol pads, printmaking papers) and/or other materials to print on (t-shirts, fabric, pillowcases, etc.)
Supplies we provide:
- to transfer images to acetate via laser printer/copier, we sell 8.5″ x 11″ acetates for $1 each
- spatulas, spoons, ink mixing containers and implements
- scoop coaters
- stencil remover
- rags, sponges, brushes, etc.