Membership at AS220 Industries
AS220 Industries offers a wide array of resources for artists, designers, and makers of all kinds and all levels. We offer affordable introductory workshops on every piece of equipment, and we offer a range of membership levels at different points of access.
Only members can reserve time in a space or on a piece of equipment. Once you are trained to use the equipment, you can book time to work independently.
Steps to gain access
- Complete a membership application (( click here to download the form ))
- Return the form to the Industries office during Public Hours
- Membership will be processed with 2-3 business days
- Pay first dues or admin fee (( Pay-As-You-Go membership includes a one-time administrative fee of $20, as of August 25, 2018 ))
- Attend the mandatory new member orientation
All members are required to attend a new member orientation.
Once you have attended an orientation and paid membership dues (if a monthly member) then you may book time and access the space/equipment. If you would like to book a tool, you will need to additionally take a class or pass a basic tool certification to demonstrate basic safety and competence.
AS220 Industries offers different membership options with varying levels of access and responsibility.
- Pay-As-You-Go: This is membership allows you to book tools as needed for a usage fee. PAYG may use coworking spaces for free but pay by the block for all bookable resources. $25 per block of time on the equipment, $45 for 2 blocks of time. A block is 2-4 hours, depending on the resource. Restrictions: Public hours only, supplies fees not included. PAYG may not hold keys and may not access the space after hours // PAYG includes a one-time administrative fee of $20.
- Volunteer Monthly Membership: $40 / month + 8 hrs of service hours / month. This is a great membership level for people who plan to be in the space a lot and want to actively support the community. Monthly members are shop stewards and caretakers. Quite literally, the space would not exist without them. Monthly members get 8 blocks of time / month (additional blocks can be purchased for $15 each) and are eligible for key access for 24/7 use after 6 months. We require 3 months of dues upfront for this membership level when you first sign up.
- Standard Monthly Membership: $100 / month. Same as above, but with no volunteer commitment. A great option if you want to use the space for creative work but don’t have a lot of extra time. In lieu of hours, we will happily take money! Standard members are eligible for key access for 24/7 use after 6 months. For both volunteer and standard membership, there is a requirement to attend bimonthly member meetings so we can share important updates.
- Emerging Member, a youth alumn of the Providence Youth Arts Collaborative: $10 / month + 4 hrs of volunteer time / month. Open to young people ages 18-23. Public hours only, supplies fees not included.
Dues are non-refundable. It is your responsibility as a member to track and use your allocated blocks of time.
GENERAL RULES + RESPONSIBILITIES
All members are expected to:
- Adhere to health and safety guidelines as explained during classes and orientation.
- Use equipment only after receiving training and approval from Industries staff
- Work responsibly and independently
- Show respect toward the facilities, equipment, and other members
- Leave the space clean and orderly, factoring clean-up into blocks of time
- Leave all equipment and supplies on the premises
- Understand that you are liable for any damage incurred to Industries computers or equipment due to misuse or negligence
Equal opportunity to participate in and benefit from the AS220 Industries is provided to all individuals regardless of race, national origin, color, gender, age, religion, sexual preference, or disability in admission, access, or employment.
AS220 Industries office and facilities are closed on the following holidays:
New Year’s Day
Day after Thanksgiving
Monday holidays are not included on this list, since AS220 Industries is closed to the public on Mondays and Tuesdays.
The Industries may also be closed additional days/times for special events and shop shut downs for cleaning, equipment resets, or staff in-service days.
AS220 Industries facilities is occasionally closed due to weather conditions. Information will be posted on the reservation calendar and on the AS220 website (www.as220.org). Members who have reserved time will also receive an email from Industries staff.
Industries Director (Incoming)
Industries Community Membership Manager
Industries Facilities Coordinator /
Modern Device Labs Technician & Designer
Open Hardware Community Manager