FAB LAB Get trained up to use the lasercutter, CNC router, 3D printers, and more!
- Advanced: CNC Milling Machine Saturdays December 1 and 8, 2-6pm. This workshop is for anyone that has completed the Shopbot class and wants to machine small metal parts. You will learn how to safely operate the machine on your own, so you may use the machine independently after completing the training and becoming a member. Cost: $145.
- DIY Microscopes with Public Lab Sunday December 2, 10-12 pm. Build a microscope and take it home! At our DIY Community Microscope workshop, we’ll guide participants through building their own microscope with affordable materials. It takes only 15-30 minutes to build, and plugs into a smartphone or laptop. Costs:$50
- Lasercut Holiday Gifts. Sunday, December 2nd, 1 to 4pm, Sunday December 16, 11-2pm Make a custom ornaments and coasters! Using pre-designed templates provided by the instructor, participants will get a basic overview of how laser cutting works and walk away with customized holiday gifts! Costs:$50
- 3D Printed Jewelry Tuesday, December 11, 6-8pm. Design a pair of earrings, a pendant, or a charm for a bracelet using the Ultimaker 3D printer! We’ll learn the basics of modeling with Tinkercad, a free browser-based 3D modeler, learn how to run a file in Cura, and spend the evening designing and assembling a piece of jewelry to print and take home. Costs:$40
- Intro to Arduino Wednesday December 12 and 19, 6-9 pm. Arduino is an open source platform designed for artists, educators, and designers to be able to develop affordable prototypes for interactive design. It includes both a stand-alone circuit board with input / output for various components and an IDE for programming to provide an easy on-ramp for people learning how to design and program open hardware. Costs:$100
PRINT SHOP New workshops in monotype, letterpress post-production, soft plate, and more! Intro silkscreen offered weeknights and weekends.
- Soft Plates II: Low Relief and Collograph. Saturdays December 1 and 8, 11am to 2pm ‘Soft plates’ are thin substrates like paper, plastic, and vinyl are made into semi-durable shapes, that are capable of holding fixed details, etchings and carved lines. Students will learn how to develop these low relief layered plates to be printed as relief or as intaglio plates. This class will teach proper press operation and certify members to use the etching presses on completion. Cost: $150.
- Intro to Letterpress: Polymer Plates Saturdays December 1 and 8, 2pm to 6pm This class will cover the old and new uses of the letterpress using light-sensitive polymer plate to be printed on our Vandercook press. Students will get a basic foundation for Letterpress printing by focusing on the production and printing of the polymer plate. Cost: $150.
- Letterpress Your Holiday Cards Sunday December 9, 10 am to 1 pm This brief introduction to letterpress printing will help students gain a better understanding printing process while getting time on the Vandercook press. Students will get to select a design from a curated suite to print on cardstock. The goal of this workshop is to expose students to the letterpress printing process through a hands on approach. Cost: $65.
- Intro to Silkscreen: Weeknight Wednesday December 12 and 19, 6pm to 9pm Screenprinting is a versatile process that can be used to transfer graphic images to paper, wood, and fabric. It is ideal for making prints, posters, coasters, greeting cards, stationery, and more. Your instructor will walk you through the process and help you gain the skills you need to confidently plan and execute your next paper-based project. Cost: $100
- Advanced: Graphic Letterpress, Saturday December 15, 10am to 1pm. Typophile beware, you may fall in love with this unique hand typesetting class. Graphic Letterpress is meant for the printer who wants a chance to break the rule (now that they know them). Students will get a chance to play with type in unconventional ways to create expressive broadsides.Cost: $70.
- Silkscreen Intensive Sunday December 16, 10am to 6pm Screenprinting is a versatile process that can be used to transfer graphic images to paper, wood, and fabric. It is ideal for making prints, posters, coasters, greeting cards, stationery, and more. Your instructor will walk you through the process and help you gain the skills you need to confidently plan and execute your next paper based project.Cost: $130.